April 30, 2012

#MusicMonday - Yohio

There are times when your eyes and your ears will have a hard time agreeing on what the other is experiencing. I just had a big dose of it myself, and what do you know it involves music. Let me explain some things first though.

In the following video is Yohio, a Swedish visual kei performer. What is visual kei? Wikipedia says:

Visual kei (ヴィジュアル系 bijuaru kei, lit. "visual style" or "visual system") is a movement among Japanese musicians, that is characterized by the use of make-up, elaborate hair styles and flamboyant costumes, often, but not always, coupled with androgynous aesthetics.
Yohio is so androgynous I swore he was a lady and my brain nearly shorted out when he started singing. Now that you have fair warning, enjoy the song 'Sky Limit'!



I've watched the video several times and I'm not sure if it's because I really like it or just because there aren't many popular bands with that kind of 'visual style' in the states (that I know of anyway) and I'm just staring at what I perceive to be an oddity.

Still, pretty interesting wouldn't you say?

Swedish visual key performer Yohio is fabulous max [Japanator]

No comments:

Post a Comment